Multicultural marketing and community engagement are evolving. Today’s most successful multicultural outreach strategies are increasingly those that apply core diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) values to reach diverse audiences effectively, respectfully, and meaningfully. In this session, we will explore how DEI and multicultural marketing and community engagement can work together to create more equitable campaigns and programs and share proven best practices for applying DEI principles within the context of marketing communications and engagement.
- Jennifer González (Senior Vice President of Multicultural Communications, C+C)
- Alejandro Paredes (Co-Director of Communications and Engagement Services, Cascadia Consulting Group)
Turning DEI into Action: A Simple Framework
presented by Jennifer González
Organizational DEI = internal
Multicultural marketing = external — “sells products or services to audiences of multiple ethnicities or cultural backgrounds in authentic ways that honor cultural differences”
How does DEI fit into multicultural marketing?
DEI in multicultural marketing: “applying core DEI principles to marketing & outreach strategies to ensure we reach diverse audiences effectively and respectfully”
- diversity — unbiased representation of diverse community members
- equity = fair access — investing in resources that ensure fair access to people who need more support than others
- inclusion = belonging — voices and desires of all community members are heard, valued, and acted on